Ramaswamy, Megha – PhD, MPH
Primary Institution:
University of Kansas Medical Center
Department:
Population Health
Position(s):
Professor
Current SEPA Project

I serve as Professor of Population Health at University of Kansas School of Medicine. I have worked for the last 15 years studying how the intersection of urban living, race, class, and gender structure health and social risk for women and men involved in the criminal legal system. This work has been continuously supported by the National Institutes of Health (www.kumc.edu/she ). My work has led to the development of behavioral and systems-level interventions that address the intersection of sexual health and cancer prevention. I take community health problems, work with women who are experts of their own lives, and come up with plans for how best to implement solutions at individual, practice, and policy levels.

I lead a diverse research team with 20 faculty, staff, and students. I have mentored over 200 high school, undergraduate, graduate, nursing, medical students, and early stage faculty in my positions co-director of an undergraduate public health program at Hunter College City University of New York, site-director of a master of public health program at University of Kansas School of Medicine, recipient of NIH diversity supplements to train faculty, mentorship of NIH K awards, role as director of our NIH Clinical and Translational Science Award KL2 program, and in my leadership role on the University of Kansas School of Medicine’s Science Education and Partnership Award which links K-12 teachers, students, university faculty, and health system partners.

In the community I have served on the boards of local public health associations, women’s health and violence prevention organizations, and on a council for community HIV prevention. I have served as volunteer evaluator for community non-profits and have mobilized people with criminal legal system involvement to register to vote. I serve the scientific community currently as Chair of the Community Influences on Health Behavior NIH study section.

Associated SEPA Project(s)

Associated SEPA Publication(s)