Hello SEPA PIs,
We’re excited to announce that the SciEd 2024 Conference will be held outside of Washington, DC for the first time since 2013!
- Dates: Tuesday, May 28 (evening reception) to Friday, May 31 (ending before lunch).
- Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Both the conference registration fee and the lodging room rate will be considerably lower than they have been in DC. To help us plan this exciting conference, we’re looking for volunteers for the 2024 SciEd Organizing Committee who:
- Have attended at least one previous SciEd Conference
- Have significant experience with a SEPA project, such as PI/MPI/co-PI, key personnel, project manager, post-doc, evaluator, etc.
We especially encourage individuals from underrepresented populations in STEM (see NIH’s definition here) to be part of the committee.
Participating on the Organizing Committee gives you a voice in:
- Identifying speakers, panelists and formats for plenary sessions
- Planning breakout and other types of sessions that meet you and your colleagues’ interests
Interested individuals are requested to contact us by Wednesday, December 6.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Include the strand you’re most interested in co-leading, or a 1st and 2nd choice of strand
- Broadening Participation
- Curriculum Development
- Informal Science Education
- Interactive Multimedia
- Project Administration
- Research and Evaluation
- Research Experiences for Students and Teachers
- Science Teaching and Learning (student programs)
- Teacher Professional Development
Serving on the Organizing Committee involves:
- Serving as a Strand Leader for one of the above strands – at least two people co-lead each Strand
- Identify topics related to your Strand that are of interest to the SciEd community
- Identify appropriate presenters for these topics and invite them to submit a breakout or short session proposal; this could include yourself and/or your co-strand leader
- Review session proposals related to your Strand
- Participate in 1-2 Organizing Committee phone calls as well as email discussions to discuss the conference organization, potential plenary speakers/sessions, etc.
- Write a report on one of the plenary sessions that will be included in the Conference Report
Please feel free to share this announcement with anyone on your team who might be interested.
We look forward to a stimulating and fruitful SciEd 2024 conference!
Louisa Stark & Kristin Bass
SciEd 2024 Conference Co-Chairs