Ruben K. Dagda, Ph.D.

Dagda, Ruben K – Ph.D.
Primary Institution:
University of Nevada, Reno
Current SEPA Project

Ruben K. Dagda, Ph.D. received his doctoral training at the University of Iowa and his postdoctoral training at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is currently investigating the molecular mechanisms that lead to mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress in cell culture, tissue and animal models of Parkinson’s disease.

He has authored in multiple research manuscripts and review articles in the areas of toxicology, toxinology, mitochondrial function, and neurobiology. At the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine, he is committed to the training and education of undergraduate, graduate students and postdocs in his lab. His main research goals are to elucidate the prosurvival signaling pathways that regulate mitochondrial function, transport and turn-over in neurons and how aging and neurodegenerative diseases negatively impact these processes. The end goal is to develop novel small molecular drugs that can reverse neurodegeneration and elevate mitochondrial function in age-related neurodegenerative diseases.

As project co-director, my contribution to the “Community of Bilingual English Spanish Speakers Exploring Issues in Science and Health” SEPA project is to supervise CBESS personnel, manage the logistics, and assist with implementing innovative STEM programs tailored for bilingual high school students in the Northern Nevada region. Given my community service and experience designing workshops for K12 students, I plan teaching team-taught STEM lectures in Spanish, guiding youth-led action research by helping to facilitate summer internships, and serve as a bilingual STEM mentor to students to increase student engagement, learning and retention with the goal of stimulate science education at the high school level. Importantly as a bilingual neuroscientist, I plan to interact with bilingual community leaders, teachers, bilingual parents of high school students, and with high school students to expand the community of practice in the Northern Nevada region. It is my vision to involve members of the community of practice as stakeholders who can contribute to the design, advancement and shared success of the CBESS program

Associated SEPA Project(s)