Institution:
Baylor College of Medicine
Position(s):
Professor, Allied Health Sciences
& Family and Community Medicine

Senior Associate Director, CEO

Editorial Director, BioEd Online
Center for Educational Outreach

My goals as a scientist and educator are to: contribute to the improvement of the quality of science and health teaching and learning at all educational levels; develop scientists’ abilities to communicate with the general public and to teach science more effectively to students of all ages; contribute to the development of a more scientifically literate population; and promote access to careers in science, medicine and the health professions.

Through Baylor’s Center for Educational Outreach and BioEd Online as well as collaborations with NASA, the Houston Independent School district and many others, my focus is primarily on achieving these goals in kindergarten through college by creating curriculum, teacher development programs, and other resources that enhance science education locally and nationally.

I am currently principal investigator of science education partnerships funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institutes of Health Science Education Partnership Award program of the Office of the Director.

Most recently, as Associate Provost of Faculty Development and Institutional Research, I have expanded my focus to encompass faculty development at the graduate and professional levels with the goal of helping all Baylor faculty attain their goals related to teaching, scholarship, leadership and service.

Associated SEPA Project(s)